This week sees the release of a gorgeous home styling book, which I couldn’t wait to share with you. I am delighted to be in the blog tour today to share my book review of resourceful living by Lisa Dawson. Brilliant ideas for revamping and restyling your home on a budget and without waste.
Book Cover Notes
It’s often thought that restyling your space comes with a hefty price tag and unavoidable waste. But in Resourceful Living, award-winning interiors blogger Lisa Dawson shows how, with a little creativity, you can revamp your home with existing pieces, vintage finds and key purchases.
The clever ideas in this beautiful book cover:
– The most important ways we use our homes, from eating to sleeping, living and working.
– The Basics of steering clear of interiors ‘fast fashion’, multi-purposing furniture and making the most of what you have.
– Styling Your Home with simple solutions for re-imagining each room, from gallery walls to home bars, repainted storage to retro accessories.
Including her top ten key vintage buys and tips for in-store and online thrifting, Lisa’s inspiring advice shares the fun of creative sourcing as a more sustainable way to keep your home feeling fresh.
I have been a fan of repurposing and recycling for quite some time now. So I jumped at the chance to join the book launch tour for Resourceful Living by Lisa Dawson.
At the beginning of the book the author explains that she is a long-time advocate of buying less and buying carefully by investing in key pieces that will last. By doing so, this approach to planning and styling a home can save money in the long-term. It can also support local charities and secondhand / vintage stores and most importantly limit what ends up in landfill.
Sourcing items for your home shouldn’t be an ‘add to cart’ process. Taking the time to research and find furniture and accessories that you truly love, pieces that you’ll use time and time again, is well worth the effort.
Resourceful Living is divided into thoughtfully designed chapters:
- The Basics section provides a great overview on how to take stock of your home. Identify what you already have that you love and build a focus and future designs around it. The author shares beautiful examples from her home designs, what she loves and how it inspired her planning process.
- Next there’s styling your home section, which has lots of ideas and advice on designing walls, floors, living and dining rooms, working and outdoor spaces.
- Finally the resourceful sourcing section encourages the reader to explore the fun of thrift shopping and where to source online.
I really enjoyed reading the suggestions for outdoor spaces, as this is an area I am planning to revamp for the summer to share with family and friends. Rather than spending lots of money on expensive furniture I shall be using the resourceful living approach.
Treat your outdoor space as an outdoor ROOM.
Rather than buying expensive outdoor furniture, which I was planning to do, I shall multitask indoor furniture and take it outside when the weather is fine and we have company. Why didn’t I think of that! Adding a bright rug, some cushions and throws for when the sun goes down is such a great idea. There were several examples in the book, which gave me lots of ideas on how I can do this too. I can’t wait to revamp my outdoor space using what I already have around my home.
This is such a beautifully designed book, with creative layouts and a good balance of writing, expert tips and gorgeous photography examples. I particularly liked the checklists at the end of each chapter. These are so handy to refer back to as a quick reminder of the key points to consider before embarking on a room revamp.
Full of beautiful photography and expert advice, this will be my ‘go to’ book for inspiration when restyling my home.
You will love this book if you’re looking for ideas on:
- How to redesign your home without spending a fortune, written in an accessible and entertaining style by an award-winning blogger.
- Master the art of repurposing furniture to create a completely new look.
- Find out how to ‘shop your home’ by sourcing preloved items that mix and match well with newer key pieces.
- Grab advice from a super stylist on how to create a gallery wall, position multi-purpose furniture in a space or inject colour into a room.
Where To Buy
About the Author
Lisa Dawson is a multi-award-winning interiors blogger, writer, workshop presenter and social media influencer.
She writes a popular weekly blog, is a regular contributor to Frank magazine and creates professional social media content for brands such as John Lewis and Loaf Home.
Lisa is co-founder of the popular Instagram hashtag #myhomevibe, which has over 1.5 million posts and was the first UK-based interiors community hashtag when it was launched in 2016. She lives in York with her husband, three children and a badly behaved Lhasa Apso called Buddy.
Where to find Lisa online
Further Book Info:
- Published Date: 15th April 2021 (Hardback)
- Publisher: Kyle Books
- Page Count: 192
Blog Tour Organised by
Random Things Tours
Thanks to Anne @randomttours for inviting me on the tour. Also thanks to Lisa Dawson for my copy of the book for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my book review of Resourceful Living by Lisa Dawson.
Back to non fiction book list