Have you discovered Brew Dog Craft Beers yet? Whilst planning our Scotland Road Trip this year, we discovered the Brew Dog Craft Beer Company had a state-of-the-art, carbon-negative brewery based in Ellon, Aberdeenshire. As our Scotland Motorhome trip included parts of the North East Coast 250 route (NE250), we decided to pay a visit to Brew Dog Ellon.
We’ve been fans of Brew Dog craft beers for a while, Dave has been happily working his way through tasting all of the Brew Dog craft beers on offer. 🙂 From Punk IPA to Planet Pale and Dave’s favourite Triple Hazy, there’s craft beers for all tastes. There’s even a range of Alcohol Free craft beers such as Punk AF.
Oh if only they would offer a Motorhome Park and Taste Tour (with a 1 night ‘sleep it off ‘ stopover), it would be the perfect Beer Lovers tourist attraction.
Anyway, back to our visit to Brew Dog Ellon…
About Brew Dog?
Brew Dog was founded in 2007 by James Watt and Martin Dickie in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire (UK). Offering craft beers and ales, the company has had a rapid growth following it’s crowdfunding shares in 2011. Moving from Fraserburgh to Ellon just outside Aberdeen, the new brewery factory is designed to minimise carbon emissions with the use of treatment plants. The brewery uses Biogas, which is produced from raw materials such as agricultural waste, manure, plant material, green waste and food waste.
With an ever increasing range of brews and bars, Brew Dog is establishing themselves as a passionate, successful craft beer brand. Alongside Ellon, the HQ of Brew Dog, they also have breweries in Berlin, Brisbane, Columbus (Ohio) as well as the experimental brewery in Scotland called OverWorks.
Brew Dog are certainly a brand to watch as they continue to push the boundaries of what is possible with fermentation. With a further £35m funds being raised from Equity for Punks crowdfunding, Brew Dog are on a quest to redefine wild and sour beers using wild yeasts and microbes from the environment and ingredients sourced from all around the world.
When We Visited
The Brewery factory tours were not available when we visited due to the pandemic, however check before visiting as these many now be running again.
Where To Find Brew Dog Ellon
Brew Dog Ellon Brewery can be found at Balmacassie Industrial Estate, Ellon, Scotland, AB41 8BX
When you visit Brew Dog Ellon there’s a car park just outside the Dog Tap building. Sadly, it’s not big enough for motorhomes to park in. However, when we visited there were parking options nearby on the access road as well as opposite Brew Dog Ellon.
Stock Up On Outdoor Gear
Why Visit Brew Dog Ellon?
A visit to Brew Dog Ellon has plenty to offer including:
- Dog-Friendly restaurant – Delicious food such as monster burgers, oak-fired chicken as well as lots of plant-based veggie and vegan options.
- Beer Museum – A bespoke beer museum full of interesting facts and the history of beer. Well worth a wander round whilst your monster burger and beer go down
- On-site Bars – There are 2 bars with 60 taps to pour Brew Dog beers fresh from the brewery tanks next door. Pretty amazing huh!
- Beer Library – Miche’s favourite place. Books ranging from the history of beer to top tips for home brewers.
- Dedicated Beer School Room – Guided tasting session led by trained beer crew. Learn all about hops and malts
- Outdoor Area – a range of outdoor seating options including heated dining pods and play area for the kids
Check out this cool Virtual Tour of Brew Dog Ellon
We ate in the Beer Library, which has several tables and long sofas making it a relaxed space. The staff were friendly when we arrived and were quick to take our orders. The food and beers came quickly and were super tasty. We ordered Beyond Meat Burgers with spicy cauliflower wings, which were amazing.
Once we’d filled our bellies with lush food and beer, and our dogs were snoozing under the table, we took it in turns to have a wander around the other Brew Dog Ellon Spaces (see list above).
I particularly liked the funky art work on the walls inside and outside of the building. The museum was also interesting, I enjoyed reading all about the history of making beer and facts about the Brew Dog Company.
If you ever find yourselves on a Scotland Road Trip and in need a very cool and delicious pitstop in Aberdeenshire, head on over to Brew Dog Ellon. Since visiting Ellon we’ve also visited Brew Dog Bristol, and with Brew Dog Edinburgh opening December 2021, I think Dave has his eye on further Brew dog tours soon. Yay. 🙂
- Online Booking is available on the Brew Dog website.
- The Brew Dog mobile App allows you to order food and drinks from your table
Find Brew Dog Online
- Our Scotland Road Trip – an introduction to our Scotland road trip series
- Findhorn Beach and Motorhome Stopover – Fabulous dog friendly beach and Motorhome Aire on the North Est Coast 250 route.
- Visit Harry Potter Bridge – the Glenfinnan Viaduct and Monument are a lovely day trip out for family
- Ballachulish Loch Leven – Popular Loch for canoeing, paddle boarding and cold water swimming in Glencoe on the way to Fort William.
- Rothiemurchus & Loch An Eilein – In the beautiful Cairngorms National Park
I hope you’ve enjoyed my review of our visit to Brew Dog Ellon.
Suggest a Food/Drink Tour: If you know of beer, wine or cider makers that offer a stopover tour then let us know in the comments below as we’d love to try them and share our review here on TouringTales.
If you want to read more Touring Tales articles?: Visit our Scotland articles section
New to Touring Tales? Find out more About Us here
Share Your Love Of Scotland
Seniors enjoy 20% discount | Family membership from only £6 per month